European tour new format. This week’s new format explained | Two cut’s? Then match play?
3 days of straight play
Standard cut after 36 holes. down to 65 players.
A further cut after 54 holes, down to 24.
Final day of 6 hole match play!!!!!! WOW just WOW, that is going to be unreal to watch.
Watch video for full details.
European tour new format
Is this European Tour new format going to change the game? We think it has a good chance. It will concentrate crowds to six holes on the final day, which will surely create a better atmosphere. It will also be different for the pro’s to go head to head…..it would remind you of the Fred Daly haha. It will be great practice for the Ryder Cup and they should probably host more matchplay events in the lead up to it.
Also check out this weeks season pass featuring Golf and Birdie’s…..#GolfBirdie
Golf Birdie is the first tee to green flyover guide of the world’s top golf courses. “It’s the modern stroke saver” . Users simply download the free app, search their favourite club and have a birds eye view with professional video commentary and local knowledge. Which is both invaluable and entertaining.
Watch: This week’s new format explained | Two cut’s? Then match play? European tour new format February 14th, 2017admin
The European Tour is today delighted to unveil GolfSixes, a revolutionary and novel short form of the game which further illustrates the Tour’s desire to embrace innovation and originality in professional golf.
The inaugural GolfSixes event – featuring a prize fund of €1 million – will make its debut on the European Tour schedule at the Centurion Club in St Albans, to the north west of London, on May 6-7, 2017.
The event will feature two-man teams from 16 different nations, each nation being represented by its leading ranked and available European Tour member from the 2017 Exemption Category List as at Monday March 13, who will be joined by a compatriot of his choosing from within European Tour Membership.
The first day’s play on Saturday May 6 will see the teams split into four groups of four – similar to the UEFA Champions League football group stages – before the top two teams from each group progress to the knockout stages – the quarter-finals, the semi-finals, a 3rd/4th place play-off match and the final – all of which will be contested on Sunday May 7.
* Format Summary
• Both players in each team hit tee shots on each hole. The best tee shot is selected and then the team alternate play of all subsequent shots required to complete the hole.
• Matches will be played over all 6 holes with 1 point awarded for each hole won. The winner of each match will be the player with most points at the end of 6 holes.
• For the group table: Win = 3 points, Draw = 1 point, Loss = 0 points
• In the case of a tie or ties in the group table after all matches have been played, each team’s total points differential from the 3 matches (similar to goal difference) will be used to determine the qualifiers to the knockout stages.
• If this does not resolve the tie, then this will be decided by a hole-by-hole play-off on a shortened play-off hole on hole 18.
• Matches will be played over as many holes as is required to determine a winner.
• Any match that is still tied after 6 holes will be continued by repeated play of a “shortened play-off hole” on hole 18 until a result is determined.
Read more at http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=320826.html?utm_source=m.facebook.com&utm_medium=referral#zueQlbckDwUmtwcF.99
Breaking! New tournament “Golf Sixes” €1 million Prize February 12th, 2017admin